Thursday, October 26, 2006

RELATIVELY SPEAKING...

My apologies for being absent for a while... things have been extremely hectic lately with the festive season and all (we just celebrated Eid or Aidilfitri here in Singapore)

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the festive season. Now, don't get me wrong... I love the fact that the festive season comes with a mandatory public holiday. And spending that public holiday tucking into great food... well, I really can't complain. But there is one thing that I don't quite like... and that's dealing with weird relatives.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, festive holidays are the time when families congregate and this will inadvertantly mean you'll have to contend with that weird aunt or uncle of yours that you haven't seen in years (and for good reason).

Maybe it's that aunt who never shaves her pits but insist on wearing tanktops... or the uncle who lets one rip indiscriminately while others are happily tucking into the sumptuous dinner... or that grandaunt who cries at everything - the thought of of a recently deceased relative, the fact that one of her sons couldn't make it to the family get-together, the overcooked gravy... everything.

Actually, most of my relatives are really nice, normal people. In fact, none of the above are any relative of mine... well, except that uncle who lets one rip at the dinner table. Only it's not my uncle... I call him "Dad". So I'm sure in another blog, there is a cousin of mine ranting about the above and how they had to survive that during the holidays.

My personal hell during this festive season is this uncle who, out of the blue, have started to be a tad too affectionate for my liking. Our greetings used to be normal, firm, manly handshakes but this year, he started this new thing where he would hug and kiss me on both sides of the cheeks... AND my forehead! I mean, I can deal with it if my mom or grandma does that... but to have a big, hairy, burly man with a huge belly and greasy hair do that... is just wrong.



Now... I don't know how it is in your part of the world but in my book, there should be no kissing amongst straight men. No kissing on the lips, no kissing on the cheeks and especially no kissing on the forehead. The forehead kissing privileges expired when I hit the age of 12 and since I will not be donning a white bridal gown at my wedding anytime soon, I really don't see this forehead kissing ritual resurrected at all.

The handshakes were good... so let's just stick to the handshakes. I can do an occasional hug... but let's limit that to big occasions... like my wedding... or the birth of my first born... or when we survive the first nuclear holocaust... for those occasions, I can do a hug.

But no kisses. Especially if we just survived a nuclear holocaust. I mean, for the sake of the survival of humanity, I think it's only wise we keep all the kissing to members of the opposite sex. Don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home