Tuesday, August 29, 2006

MY FIRST OPEN MIKE CONTRIBUTOR... GO FIGURE.

This entry is from boojahl (gob-log.blogspot.com) about his misadventures while trying to manoeuvre himself out of a train station while in a semi slumber state.

TALKING ELAVATORS - BE POLITE

This morning, I was on the North East Line train on my way home after my night shift. I haven't done a night shift since 2004, which meant an exhausted me was left sleeping throughout the ride, eyes reduced to a slit, saliva flakes drying up at the corner of my mouth and booger almost dried up in the air-conditioned train to chunks of stretchy tiny dough.



Upon arrival at my station in Punggol, I took the lift from the platform level to the main level. But something peculiar happened the moment I stepped into the lift... a voice suddenly boomed from above! So naturally I looked up, eyes and ears suddenly alert.

The voice was subtle yet carried enough presence. It summoned, "Going up?". Seriously guys, the voice asked me a question. It certainly doesn't sound like telling me 'Going up' but rather ASKING me, 'Going Up?'.

How the hell am I supposed to answer? What if I decided NOT to answer, will the lift still bring me up? Whatever happened to just pressing the button?

I did not dare to take the risk, so I answered politely, "Oh yes, please. Thank you."

The next time you take the train and decide against taking the stairs or escalator, take note.

Prepare to be bemused...and yes, be polite.

Ed's note:

To boojahl - Do not be afraid of technology. Technology is inevitable. One day, not only our elevators will speak to us... our cars, our ovens, our fridge, our tv... everything will start speaking to us, like Kitt in the Knight Rider series. Way cool.


image from http://www.knightriderarchive.com/

Who knows... perhaps even our toilets would speak to us. Though I agree that would be a tad disconcerting, especially if it were to say something like "Sir, for the last time, please stay off the chilli... the air freshener is working on overdrive as it is and this is the 11th time you have used me tonight. It's not like you are paying me overtime..."

To the station masters on the North East Line - Stick to Muzak. You've scared enough early morning commuters as it is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home