Monday, August 27, 2007

NURSING A BROKEN HEART... THEN AND NOW

Recently, my friend Jack shared about how he created a blog to secretly profess his undying love for a girl. About how he uses this as a means to reveal his innermost thoughts, his deepest yearnings, the emotional rollercoaster high whenever he is around her... and all this time, as I was reading his posts, I was thinking... damn, this guy's sappy...

Don't get me wrong. I come from a generation of he-man women haters weaned on a healthy dose (or is it... overdose?) of The Godfather, Rocky, Rambo and... well, The A-Team. We don't do emotions, we don't feelings... and we don't stay on the phone playing the never-ending "Why don't you hang up first?" game.

Well, not anymore... anyway.

What I'm trying to say is that I guess we all go through the same thing at one point in life or another. My mind wanders back to a period years ago... when I too, in a moment of uncontrolled temporary sappiness, went down a similar path.

The story begins when this hot relief teacher who's fresh out of university enters my class. It was love at first sight. She inspires me to do things that I loathed.... like Math and Geography and even... Physical Education. Seeing in her pink t-shirt, tight electric blue lycra and shorts (don't laugh... Lycra was hot then. And the pink and blue... killer colour combo) doing callistenics just brought about a stirring of... emotions. To me... and probably to the other 19 boys in my class as well.

But it was never meant to be.

So like all other boys back then... you turn to the only ones whom you felt understood you. You turn to... it's hard for me to say this but I guess it's time to come clean... the sissified big haired rockers and their heart wrenching love ballads. It is embarassing, I know. But I guess when you're hurt, the sappy lyrics speak to you.

And the way they shriek certain parts of the song to accentuate the pain they go through at octaves that can only be detected by whales and sonar... I mean, nothing says anguish better than that. Not too sure if the anguish comes from the broken heart or from the pain when you feel your "crown jewels" pinched and suffocated by the skintight leather jeans... but one thing for sure, the anguish is genuine.

So the moral of the story is... every man will have their sappy moment. If blogging helps guys today deal with the anguish as much as listening to the Ultimate Rock Ballads Volume 1 and 2 helped me back in the day, then go ahead and blog.

But Jack... if you by any chance feel that this outpouring of emotions on your blog isn't helping and if you're ever in need of something to ease that pain... I'd like to share with you the ultimate remedy... the most sappiest, most heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, ear-splitting and not to mention ball-busting rock ballad ever. A must for every heartbroken boy. Emo just doesn't cut it. Here it is, the ultimate love ballad ever... She's Gone.



Those of you with dogs... I recommend you let them out of the house or else they'd go nuts listening to this. Don't say I didn't warn you...

4 Comments:

Blogger Yulia said...

Ah. That explains the Mat-Rock hairstyle, poly days.

5:22 pm  
Blogger bigfooz said...

It wasn't just Mat Rock hair... my long flowing locks was an expression of youth and freedom and a stand against conformity... and most importantly, chicks think it's hot.

11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... hair metal rock ballads... also known as Emo of the Seventies and Eighties...

PS, I played that YouTube video, didn't recognise the song, felt my spine being to convulate, and closed the window immediately.

Redz.

3:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had long hair.. i really can't remember you having one. And i've known you for 22 years.. hahaha

11:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home